During Government of India’s approval for DRIP, it was decided to earmark funds under the scheme for funding few educational institutions with a view to develop their in-house expertise in the field of dam safety. Accordingly, eight premier Academic & Research Institutions were identified initially; and proposals were invited for identification of their capacity building needs in the area of dam safety. Further, with a view of imparting hands-on experiences to institutions in dam rehabilitation activities, the Implementing Agencies were encouraged to associate identified institutions in specific consultancy assignments; and accordingly, core consultancy areas of institutions were identified and shared with Implementing Agencies.
COE - Trivandrum is one of the premier institutions identified for capacity building in dam safety areas. Their proposal for capacity building, with an estimated cost of Rs. 0.80 crore, includes:
Their areas of Consultancy Services proposed to be provided to DRIP Implementing Agencies include:
- Procurement of Hydro-informatics and Dam Break Analysis Software.
- Setting up Hydrological & Coastal Engineering Laboratories.
- Training in the field of Hydro-informatics.
- Dam Break Modeling, Emergency Action Plan and Risk Analysis.
- Flood Inundation Map Preparation for Disaster Preparedness.